Gunner 156973 No 1 Depot, Royal Garrison Artillery
Henry was baptised in St Martin's Church Dorking on 22 October 1876, the son of John and Emily Ann. The 1891 census records that he then lived with his family in Guildford and was a fishmonger. His army service records show that he joined the Highland Light Infantry aged 18 years in 1894 (No 5411) and was severely wounded in South Africa in 1901 and discharged as medically unfit in 1903. In 1911 he was employed as a butler in Kensington. On 2 September 1914 Harry enlisted with the Middlesex Regiment special reserve. (No 802) but was discharged in April 1915 as no longer physically fit for war service.
Soldiers Died gives Harry Richardson’s place of residence as Ash, and that he enlisted at Guildford and was born in Dorking. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission also gives his name as Harry. The Army Register of Soldiers’ Effects records that Henry died in RC Hp [Red Cross Hospital] Bury St Edmunds. His War Gratuity was “not admissible”.
Alfred Ernest Ives, the landlord of the Greyhound, wrote to the War Memorial Committee on 1 October 1920 asking them to add H Richardson to their list.