Private 201852 2nd Battalion, Royal Sussex Regiment
Ernest John Mearing was the son of Laura Mearing of Ash, Spinster, and was baptised at St Mary’s Church 15 June 1898.
The censuses record that the Mearing family lived in Ash Street in 1901, and in Lily Cottage, Shawfields, in 1911. Albert Cooper boarded with them in 1911.
The Aldershot News 22 March 1918 reported that he was wounded on 3 March and died of wounds the following day. He had been in the Army a year and three months and had not been on active service for long. Before joining up he had worked for Mr Field, the dairyman at North Town [Aldershot].
The records of the War Memorial Committee give his relative as Mrs Cooper of Shawfield Road.
Image courtesy of the Aldershot News