Lance Corporal 9804 6th Battalion, The Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment
Henry Lake was christened in St Paul’s Clapham on 9 May 1893, the son of Benjamin, a coal porter and Laura. The school admissions register records that Henry was admitted to Langford Road School in Hammersmith and Fulham on 17 May 1897 and left for a different school 17 January 1898.
The censuses record that in 1901 the family were living in Wood Street and were hawkers of fruit, vegetables and confectionery, with three children, Laura 10, Henry 8 and Alf 3. In 1911 Mr and Mrs Lake and the two younger children lived in a caravan in Firacre Road and were dealers in confectionery. Henry was in Warley Barracks.
Henry enlisted with 3rd The Queen’s on 11 July 1910. He had been a greengrocer, and had blue eyes and fair hair. Later the same year he changed to the 5th Battalion.
In October 1916 Mrs Laura Lake and his brother and sister lived at Laura Cottage, Church Path in South Farnborough, and his medals and effects were to be sent to her.