Ash Museum Logo
Ash Museum
Ash Museum Logo

Home | Museum | History Room | Local History | Contact us

William Kimber

Private G/7928 6th Battalion, The Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment
Died 5 April 1918 aged 33
Remembered on Ash War Memorial
Buried in Senlis Communal Cemetery Extension, Somme
Remembered on the Memorial to the Men of Ash Vale in St Mary’s Church

William Kimber was born in Aldershot 23 February 1885, son of Frank and Ellen Kimber.

The censuses record that in 1881 his father had been a Serjeant in the Royal Engineers and the family were in barracks in Aldershot. In 1901 William was a barman, and his father ran the Harrow Tavern in High Street Eynsford Kent. His sister Margaret was five years older than him and was housekeeper, and his mother had died. In 1911 Frank, now an Army pensioner, and his new wife Emma, lived in Eynsford Lodge in Chandlers Road in Ash Vale.

Wlliam enlisted in Guildford 29 February 1916, giving his address as Flimby Lodge. He was not married, was 5 feet 3¾ inches tall and had brown hair and blue eyes. He was examined at Stoughton Barracks, weighed 120 lbs and gave his trade as a valet. He had been wounded in action in France in 1917.

1918 and 1921 his property and medals were to be returned to his sister and next of kin Mrs Margaret Florence Brooks 139 Tyneham Road Lavender Hill London SW11. In 1908 William’s sister Margaret married James Brooks.

Ash Great War Roll of Honour


Home | Museum | History Room | Local History | Contact us
© Ash and District Local History Museum Society enquiries@ashmuseum.org.uk
c/o Ash Parish Council Offices, Ash Centre, Ash Hill Road, Ash, Surrey GU12 5DP